Thursday, May 12, 2005

CLASS MOTTO

Editor, Times-Union:

I'd like to post this letter to all of the seniors from this year's graduating class of Mastodon Valley High School, class of 05'.

First of all, congratulations for reaching a great milestone in your life by graduating from high school and venturing out into the real world. I applaud you. I also wish you the best of luck. Trials, hurdles, and moments will come, but they to will pass so stick to your values and they will lead you far.

I would like to ask a question, though, to the senior body. I read that your class motto was: "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

I have to admit, this troubles me. I've spent the last few days trying to decipher this phrase as it was hopefully meant. I've tried to come to the conclusion that I've misread it, but alas I always seem to feel it means the same. Now I hope I'm wrong, and I beg your forgiveness if I am, but the motto seems to say "I'll do what I want, say what I want, and if you don't agree, screw you."

Now again, please forgive me if I've taken it out of context. I hope I have and you can show me my error. If I am right, I'm greatly saddened. I'm going to wait to get up on my soapbox until I've heard the ideas and thoughts of some of the senior class. I've always said that getting your facts right before your sermon is the most important part, so I'll live by that now too. I wish you a great day and a safe one besides.

Duane Herendeen
Mastdon City

No comments: