Thursday, May 19, 2005

WINNING THE WAR OF IDEAS

Anti-Semitic stereotypes also were noted. Focus group members saw the United States and Israel as synonymous and estimated the proportion of Jews in the U.S. population at up to 85 percent; it is 2 percent.

What's funny about this statistic is that most, if not all, of the American Jews I know (I don't really know any Jewish Jewy Jews from Jewland) are educated, sensible, liberal, and care much more about grubbing money (sorry, couldn't resist) than invading Muslim countries or perpetuating the Israel/Palestine conflict.

Because honestly, if it were me, and it's not, but if it were, if I were making three dollars a day living under the thumb of some godforsaken Arab Monarchy ruled by thieving patriarchs who spend their days sunbathing by their pineapple-shaped pool, smoking their cinnamon flavored tobacco and sewing up their ladies' clitorides, while I spend my days digging graves for the unlucky bastard who tried to smuggle a flask of rum through the border, only to get his head lopped off in the city square, then you know what? Personally, and again, this is just me, but if it were me, I'd probably be a little more worried about the straight-laced Dad-of-Jesus-God-fearing Aryans from Kaintuck and Bama, itching to see Gee Dub drop the A-Bomb on Baghdad, Damascus, Pyongyang and Tehran while singing "That Old Rugged Cross" and praying for the misbegotten souls of the slowly dying barbarians to be elevated to the soothing stratus of a cottony heaven than I would about the writing staff of "The King of Queens."

But, you know, if you want to worry about the Jews in America, then yeah, that's probably going to work out really well for you.

1 comment:

Mathis said...

Perhaps so, Trevor, perhaps so. Luckily, I was anointed by the healing salve long ago, and have nothing to fear.