Tuesday, November 29, 2005

CHRISTMAS SUGGESTION




Reviewer: Thierry Nguyen (Berkeley, CA USA) - See all my reviews

In a flurry of humor, depression, and morbid curiosity, I actually went and bought this damn book. I haven't read it cover to cover, but I've digested a good chunk of it. A significant portion of it is dedicated to reprinting USENET posts, where Nishigaki posts his ideas to a depression newsgroup, and every other poster gets completely and utterly baffled. The first few chapters are just this sense of back and forth. Then it launches into heavy theory, written in that zesty sense of "Engrish" as seen in the description. Its method for combating depression is something that I have yet to even consider trying, but as a general humor book, this is probably one of the funniest and most bizarre reads you'll encounter. I still randomly open to a page, read it, and feel better about whatever the heck was bringing me down in the first place. Get this book for comedy, not for advice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd buy you that, if it weren't for this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1595230165/002-0894505-9376041?v=glance&n=2

TJ said...

Forget about the depression stuff. Did you read the one about the guy having the biggest bowel movement of his life? That's just terrifying enough to be tempting.

I can't believe I have to keep typing these verifiers out: biiiizsz, indeed.