Thursday, September 16, 2004

COMPANY HILL, ALL WORN DOWN AND ROUND

The sky has a film. Its heat burns through the salt on my skin, draws it tight. I start the truck, drive west along the highway built on the dry bed of the Teays. There's wide bottoms, and the hills on either side have yellowy billows the sun can't burn off. I pass an iron sign put up by the WPA: "Surveyed by George Washington, the Teays River Pike." I see fields and cattle where buildings stand, picture them from some long-off time.

I turn off the main road to our house. Clouds make the sunshine blink light and dark in the yard. I look again at the spot of ground where Pop fell. He had lain spread-eagled in the thick grass after a sliver of metal from his old wound passed to his brain. I remember thinking how beaten his face looked with prints in it from the grass.

I reach the high barn and start my tractor, then drive to the knob at the end of our land and stop. I sit there, smoke, look again at the cane. The rows curve tight, but around them is a sort of scar of clay, and the leaves have a puplish blight. I don't wonder about the blight. I know the cane is too far gone to worry about the blight. Far off, somebody chops wood, and the ax-bites echo back to me. The hillsides are baked here and have heat ghosts.

--Breece D'J Pancake

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Masty. The blogger after my own heart. Quoting the great, woefully underappreciated Breece D'J Pancake.

Hmmm....Pancakes....(*gargling noise*)....

BK/CK said...

Has some horrible accident befallen the American Mastodon? Your adoring public awaits your next proclamation.

We also wait for the next "tubers" reference.