Tuesday, June 28, 2005

MOVIE TALK

First thing's first: check out the movie that some friends and I made last weekend. It's goofy with a couple of good laughs, and we wrote it, shot it, and edited it all within 48 hours. If anyone in Los Angeles wants to watch this fine masterwork on the big screen, there is a showing tomorrow night (Wednesday the 29th) at the Laemmle Fairfax cinema at 9:30. See ya there, campers!

Second of all, I've noticed something about one of my favorite movies, Songs from the Second Floor. The thing I've noticed is that I've yet to recommend it to one person who likes it. I remember seeing this movie with my friend Sarah in New York. We both loved it and, the next day, we went to see it again, this time carting along with us a group of (we thought) like-minded connoisseurs of art and culture. Well, they all hated it. Since that time, I've recommended the film to a number of people. They've all either stopped watching soon after starting or watched the entire thing. I don't know which is worse, because those that have watched the entire thing typically have more disparaging things to say about it than those who decided to give up after 10 head-scratching minutes. Oh well. Art is art and we all have our opinion. But it does present a dilemma: how do I reconcile the fact that I love this film with the obligation to be courteous and prudent and tell people the truth: that they would probably do well to stay away from it. It's a bit pompous to say, "Well, this is my favorite movie, but you'll not like it, so don't see it," even though I think that by now I have the research to back this statement up. Is there anyone out there in internet-land who liked this movie, or are my tastes as unique as my physique is perfect?

I watched The Andy Milonakis Show Sunday night on MTV. I'd never seen or heard anything about the guy before. The show, though pretty hit and miss, can be incredibly funny. However, I'm sure there are many out there who will hate him. A lot of people hated Tom Green. Though Milonakis isn't as mean or as self-aware as Tom Green, he's certainly just as, if not more, absurd. So, go ahead and hate away. The entire show was worth it for the "10 gayest household objects" bit. Had me in stitches.

I have no interest in watching Cinderella Man. Nor have I seen or have an interest in ever seeing A Beautiful Mind. My mother, with whom I spoke last night, can't seem to understand this small fact about her son. "But...Cinderella Man is so good," she said. "And it really happened!" she could't help but add. I don't really know what to tell her. "Guess I just don't like the same movies as you, mom." Unfortunately, this is little relief for her. I imagine that at night she does not sleep well; something is wrong with her son, and she retraces all of her motherly steps to determine if the blame for this defiency falls on her shoulders or another's.

That's about it. I sort of have a desire to see You and Me and Everyone We Know, but I get that feeling, deep down in my stomach, that it's just going to be another The Saddest Music in the World, which may be the single most significant piece of pretensious hipster pseudo-retro high-brow waste yet thrown on screen. What I love, absolutely love about what I've read about YAMAEWK is that it's the story of a performance artist falling in love with... are you ready? A single father of two... wait! shhhhh! it gets better! Ok, she falls in love with a single father of two who is a (cough) shoe salesman! Because that's so... God, so, fucking - real? Yeah, that's real life, man. It's real like getting your oil changed by Sasquatch is real.

11 comments:

Mathis said...

Take a look at the plastercast, now you really know he's real.

Analogcabin said...

"Repeat Customer" was funny.

T.S. said...

Someone I haven't seen in years just emailed me to say that she'd just seen the new Batman movie, and the whole time she couldn't stop thinking about how much one of the characters reminded her of me. Apparently I look like the pyschiatrist who wears a creepy burlap mask and sprays LSD on people.

So that will probably be the next movie I see.

T.S. said...

Oh, and about "Repeat Customer" -- the used car salesman and graphics cracked me up. I kinda coulda just had the whole thing with that action.

Mathis said...

You don't look like Cillian Murphy so much as Ron Livingston.

T.S. said...

I've just looked up Cillian, and I think you're right. But this is just scary.

Ofc. Krupke said...

Good movie. I give it three and a half donuts out of five.

Anonymous said...

Apparently I look like the pyschiatrist who wears a creepy burlap mask and sprays LSD on people.

That's an exquisitely funny sentence.

That said, I really, really liked "Batman Begins." More than I was expecting to.

I must see this "Songs from the Second Floor."

And be nice to your mom.

BK/CK said...

I don't suppose there's any way to post a windows media player/real player friendly version, eh?

No?

Well, I'll try and be less lame in the future. Until then, I'll find somebody who has quicktime so's I can watch this "talkie" I've read so much about.

Mathis said...

Can't you just download quicktime? The answer is yes, yes you can. Download and be awed by awe-inspiring, emasculating, hold your ballsack hilarity.

BK/CK said...

I've tried. I may be a ludite, but I'm also part of a "network" which requires an "administrator" to install any new programs. I'm not sure I could explain the engineering significance of installing quicktime. I ran into the same quandry trying to install itunes.

As you know, I live my life on the edge, but asking to install quicktime on a work computer for personal enjoyment is simply career suicide. It's suicide, I tell ya.

I got a couple ideas up my sleeve, though...