Thursday, December 15, 2005

BADLANDS

Last night I moseyed on over to the American Cinematheque (that's really what's it called) to catch a rare screening of the second best film ever made, "Badlands". And who-doodley-do do you think was there in the audience? Mr. Terry "I'm a reclusive, plastic-surgery-obsessed" Malick! Unfortunately, he didn't offer himself up for a Q&A afterward, which is a shame, because I was wondering, and have been wondering for years:

What does the llama mean?

Terry! What the fuck does it mean! What is a llama doing in the forests of South Dakota! I know you went out of your way to get it; I've heard that it's a rare African breed or something. And don't give me this "life is strange" bullshit. Just tell me!

What does the llama mean!!

2 comments:

cnanderson1980 said...

Of course, a different type of Lama figures in the best movie ever made:

"The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."

Mathis said...

Ok, well, I couldn't find anything online about the llama, but I did find this interview with Malick, which is really great. I like this part:

...there's something about growing up in the Midwest. There's no check on you. People imagine it's the kind of place where your behavior is under constant observation, where you really have to toe the line. They got that idea from Sinclair Lewis. But people can really get ignored there and fall into bad soil. Kit did, and he grew up like a big poisonous weed.