Monday, November 14, 2005

THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE FOXY OLDER WOMAN WHO WHIPS ME

I'm getting quite excited to see The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, if for no other reason than I'm greatly looking forward to having my faith reinforced by an ill-conceived allegory that attempts to depict Jesus (whom the Bible claims preached to paupers and whores, renounced the human urges of power and money, and lived a quiet and largely unknown life of humility) as a mighty, attractive, deep-voiced, fearsome lion.

This article about C.S. "Jack" Lewis is a quick read and quite interesting, and contains this wonderful line: An old Oxford tradition claims that Bertrand Russell, on being asked why his concerns had turned so dramatically away from academic philosophy, replied, with great dignity, "Because I discovered fucking."


This dude liked to do it with his friend's mom. Eww!

2 comments:

TJ said...

This guy's everywhere right now. I'm already sick of him and the debate about his Christian intentions and Disney and comparisons to Lord of the Rings and England, for that matter. I'm sick of the whole damn place.

No more talk of England or Englanders. I just don't have the energy.

Anonymous said...

Trevor's xenophobia notwithstanding, AM, there's a documentary about Lewis that I think you might get a kick out of called The Magic Never Ends: The Life and Work of C.S. Lewis. It has a tremendously unfortunate title, yes, but goes into a lot of the stuff these articles focus on. It's definitely one of the better "affectionate biographies" I've seen, if only because of its willingness to look at the weird aspects of the man's life.

Oh, and for the record, I disagree with the Times writer that the Harry Potter books are more well written than the Narnia Chronicles. Admittedly, I've not read a whole Potter book, but I've read enough to know they're not as good as Lewis'. I'm sure they're good, but not better--just more P.C.